Position: Veterinary Practice Manager
Reports To: Executive Director
Classification: Exempt, Full Time
Date: January 30, 2020
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Bella SPCA Veterinary Hospital Practice Manager is responsible for the business activities of the practice including: hiring and training support staff; preparing financial statements and budgets, monitoring key performance indicators; maintaining inventory and an inventory control system; managing the hospital software; and implementing safety and security procedures. This is a leadership position with the additional responsibility of ensuring a positive work environment in which the practice achieves its goals.
• Client Relations
• Promotes a client-centered environment and facilitates programs and processes that meet client needs.
• Maintains the practice philosophy.
• Facilitates resolution of client problems that doctors or other staff members cannot finalize.
• Resolves financial problems with clients, collecting delinquent accounts and "NSF'” checks; determines when special financial agreements are appropriate.
• Human Resources
• Plans and organizes all personnel activities.
• Develops and updates the employee handbook, written job descriptions, employee personnel files.
• Schedules and coordinates regular performance reviews.
• Hires and manages support staff and/or staff supervisors; schedules staff and doctors.
• Provides phase training and helps staff plan for continuing education; establishes and maintains publications and veterinary medicine library.
• Resolves staff issues.
• Is accessible by staff while maintaining a professional relationship with them.
• Finance and Accounting
• Works with the accountant in preparing budgets and financial statements, and providing information for tax planning and tax returns.
• Reviews financial statements and key performance indicators and discusses them with Bella SPCA Board of Directors and doctors.
• Sets goals for hospital performance based on previous performance and mission/vision; designs strategies for meeting these goals.
• Supervises usage of practice software to ensure that client records are entered consistently and correctly.
• Monitors and reports on accounts payable and receivable.
• Establishes an inventory control system to assure adequate stocks of supplies are available; plans for periodic audits; negotiates best prices.
• Hospital Facility
• Develops a schedule for hospital/vehicle maintenance; contracts for and supervises all maintenance activities to ensure that practice medical standards are met.
• Orders and supervises storage of non-medical supplies.
• Communicates objectives, motivates staff, builds and maintains morale; maintains core values and standards.
• Takes an active role in practice staff meetings.
• Promotes cooperative working environment among staff members; understands the value of teamwork; shows enthusiasm and willingness to perform as necessary to help the practice function as a unit.
• Understands and carries out oral and written directions.
• Maintains positive, cooperative relationships with other employees.
• Promotes continuous quality improvement.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
o Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field preferred
o or, comparable work experience
o Work exposure to all aspects of a business enterprise, with demonstrated competence in budgeting and financial
reporting and in staff management.
o Minimum 2-year experience managing a medical/veterinary clinic
o Minimum 2-year experience working in a veterinary hospital
SKILLS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
o Hard skills: Microsoft Excel; Email; Internet Explorer
o Soft Skills: Must be able to make decisions and work independently. Strong customer service skills.
• Other requirements:
o Valid Driver’s License
o Occasional lifting
o Manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer keyboard and calculator
o Requires normal range of hearing and vision
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
• To be determined
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION, PLEASE CLICK HERE.